Originally composed by Adolph Adam using the text from Placide Cappeau’s Cantique de Noël. The literal translation to English go a little something like this:
- Midnight, Christians, is the solemn hour,
- When God as man descended unto us
- To erase the stain of original sin
- And to end the wrath of His Father.
- The entire world thrills with hope
- On this night that gives it a Saviour.
- People, kneel down, await your deliverance.
- Christmas, Christmas, here is the Redeemer,
- Christmas, Christmas, here is the Redeemer!
I’m glad they chose to tweak the lyrics to the final version.